[Dovecot] Authentication Problems.

Tom Ray [Lists] lists at blazestudios.com
Wed Jul 14 03:02:33 EEST 2004

Hey-

I'm kinda new to Dovecot and I'm trying to do something and it seems
I've hit a wall. I put together a server with Fedora Core 2, Exim 4.34,
and Dovecot 0.99.10.6 and I need support mail for multiple domains so
this is how I have my virtual setup:

Virtual Aliases Files:
/var/virtualdomains/$domain/etc/aliases

Virtual Accounts Passwd File:
/var/virtualdomains/$domains/etc/passwd with the following layout:
    user:passwd:uid:gid:Virtual
User:/var/virtualdomains/domain.com/mail/user:/dev/null

Virtual Mailboxes:
/var/virtualdomains/$domain/mail/$user

I got exim working without problem but when I tried to login via IMAP on
Dovecot I'm getting 'a001 NO Authentication failed.'

Now I have this setup in dovecot.conf:

default_mail_env =
mbox:/var/virtualdomains//%d/mail/%n/:INBOX=/var/virtualdomains/%d/mail/%n
auth_userdb = passwd-file /var/virtualdomains/etc/virtpasswd

It's my understanding that Dovecot can't parse out the domain name in
the auth_userdb command so I modifed my setup to use just the one
password file and modified it to this;
  user at doman.com:passwd:uid:gid:Virtual
User:/var/virtualdomains/domain.com/mail/user:/dev/null

Ownership/Group:
-rwx------  1 dovecot dovecot 36 Jul 13 18:41 passwd

Is there a setting I have wrong, a step I'm misisng, a permission I
don't know about....let me know if there is any other information you
might need and I will provide it.

TIA

Tom Ray