[Dovecot] Loggin error with Squirrelmail on Fedore Core 2

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jun 2 18:20:09 EEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 13:56, Antonio Nunes wrote:
> I managed to get Squirrelmail to work on my personal account, but when
> logging in with some other accounts I get the following error as response:
>
> ERROR : Connection dropped by imap-server.
> Query: Capability

The real error message is in log file, most likely /var/log/mail.log.

> I did a web search on this and found a message from Tim Middleton who
> experienced the same problem. He also suggests a workaround:
>
> "I put in a chron job to touch into existance any non-existing mailboxes for
> everyone in the passwd file periodically, which mostly eliminates the
> problem. But I'd still like to know why the server is having the problem, if
> anyone can make any suggestions."

This is because by default Dovecot detects mailbox locations, and if
some user doesn't have /var/mail/user mbox file, Dovecot doesn't know
what to do. So alternative to the above kludge is to modify
configuration file:

default_mail_env = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u