[Dovecot] Re: Advice on converting from Mbox to Maildir?

David Champion dgc at uchicago.edu
Wed Jun 2 22:00:55 EEST 2004

* On 2004.06.02, in <60C14C611F1DDD4198D53F2F43D8CA3B88C75B at orsmsx410.jf.intel.com>,
*	"Villalovos, John L" <john.l.villalovos at intel.com> wrote:

> Can I keep my Inbox /var/spool/mail/user_name as an mbox format and have
> my other folders as Maildir?

I think so, but offhand I'm not sure how. I assume it's a
default_mail_env setting.

> What would I have to change for Sendmail to make it use Maildir for the
> Inbox?

Sendmail doesn't touch the inbox; it depends on the local delivery agent
(LDA) to do this. If you use procmail as the LDA, this morphs into your
next question:

> Can procmail support Maildir?

Yes. If a procmail rule specifies delivery to a mailbox whose name ends
in "/", it is treated as a Maildir. If you set
	ORGMAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME/
	DEFAULT=/var/mail/$LOGNAME/

(noting the ending "/") in /etc/procmailrc, you should have
Maildir-format inboxes.

N.B. I have not tested any of this.

--
 -D.    dgc at uchicago.edu                                  NSIT::ENSS
        No money,  no book.  No book,  no study.  No study, no pass.