[Dovecot] Fedora 1 packaged version or upgrade to newest dovecot

Jens Gutzeit dovecot at gutzeit.at
Wed Jun 2 22:43:09 EEST 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 06:47:07PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> What exactly does "isn't responding" mean? Does it accept a TCP
> connection? Does it send "Dovecot ready" message? Or doesn't it just
> authenticate? What operating system is this?

It accepts a TCP connection, no timeout on the socket, but there is no
"Dovecot ready" message. Load is always just fine and there are not so
much processes from dovecot running, so, it's probably not a reached user limit.

> And when it's stuck:
>
> Is there anything in logs? Can you list the used file descriptors by
> dovecot master process? What about getting a strace of the dovecot
> process? Or if it's auth problem, those things for dovecot-auth process.
> Do imap-login processes exist? What about straceing them?

There is nothing in the logs. I'll change my script to mail me a
dir listing of /proc/$dovecot_pid/fd, a ps output with all dovecot
processes and a strace of the dovecot process. I'll report this to you
next time we have the problem.

System is Linux 2.6 (occours with 2.4, too) on a Debian stable Box,
x86 Hardware, at least all the libs that are used by dovecot and the compiler is
from debian stable.

I have a few pop/imap boxes here running dovecot, s.th. around 10
boxes or so, the problem only exists on machines which have a bit more
traffic (upto 30 simultan users). On the small ones dovecot runs
forever without any problem.

best regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Jens Gutzeit