[Dovecot] IMAP and webmail applications

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Fri Jun 18 19:48:29 EEST 2004

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 06:07:16AM -0400, Tom Allison wrote:
> Timo Sirainen wrote:
> >On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 05:21, Tom Allison wrote:
> >
> >>As for squirrelmail, they seem to want a lot of information regarding
> >>the mail architecture (mbox, maildir, folder locations...) and I don't
> >>really see where this could come into play with an IMAP implimentation.
> >

> >I suppose it tries to work around some issues with different server
> >implementations. It really shouldn't need them if it and server were
> >both fully IMAP compatible.
> >
> >Well, except for the folder locations. It needs to know what your
> >sent-mail etc. boxes are named.
> >

> OK, I guess that's about the only one I really got stuck on, but unless
> someone's being difficult or esoteric I think everyone uses the set:
>           inbox, sent, trash, drafts
> with some variation on capitalization.

We have a webmail application developed internally here that is based on
IMAP access to remote servers (well, the "remote server" might be and
usually is a server sitting in the same rack).  It stores its
preferences inside of a specially named mail folder on the IMAP server.
When you log into the webmail appplication, you tell it the IMAP server
and login info, and it finds and fetches the preferences stored there.
No special protocols other than IMAP needed.

(OTOH, it does need other, non-IMAP access in order to update delivery
rules and delivery scripts.  But that's a different arena.)

mm