[Dovecot] UW-IMAP -> Dovecot : patch to remove nasty "internal messages" from UW-IMAP ?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Mar 3 02:20:41 EET 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 11:55, wired at linfe.it wrote:
> >From Timo Sirainen, Feb 25:
>  >I don't really recommend using Dovecot with mbox at the moment. I'll
>  >probably add support for "folder internal data" messages for rewritten
>  >mbox support.
>

> Well, i am using mbox currently. My mails are at risk?
> Should i switch to maildir?

I've been using mbox for a year and haven't yet seen a lost mail. Of
course, I'm not sure if I would notice it.. :)

There does anyway appear to be some problems with accessing Drafts mbox.
Probably because it's so often emptied completely by client, or because
of some usage pattern that clients use for it (append, delete, expunge,
append, ..). The result is that sometimes when there's two drafts and
the first one is expunged, the second one is expunged as well.

I've also heard of some actual mbox corruption from one large
installation, but I don't know if it really was Dovecot's problem as
I've never heard of it from others. Might have been some problem related
to their specific environment.