[Dovecot] Corrupted Indexes and File Permissions

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Tue Mar 16 21:29:33 EET 2004

> I've checked the permissions on the maildir and it seems at the moment
> that the user has rw permssion on every file under cur, could this
> error be caused by an interaction between Postfix and Dovecot?

> Any comments / suggestions greatly appreciated,
> --
> Dominic Marks

> Mar 16 01:24:22 mail imap-login: Login: someuser [192.168.0.1]
> Mar 16 01:24:24 mail imap(someuser): open() failed with file /raid/mail/someuser/cur/1076979223.V416I136863.silverback.example.com:2,ST: Permission denied

I assume you've checked that "someuser" owns that file.

Also check that every directory in the path is accessable to that user
in the proper way.  If it's NFS-mounted, the underlying mount point
may have to have the correct permissions too (i.e., unmount the volume
and have a look).  An easy check is just to su to the "someuser" user
and see if you can access the file in question.

mm