[Dovecot] Corrupted Indexes and File Permissions

Dominic Marks freebsd at helenmarks.co.uk
Tue Mar 16 22:47:38 EET 2004

Hi Mark,

On Tuesday 16 March 2004 19:29, Mark E. Mallett wrote:
> > I've checked the permissions on the maildir and it seems at the
> > moment that the user has rw permssion on every file under cur,
> > could this error be caused by an interaction between Postfix and
> > Dovecot?
> >

> > Any comments / suggestions greatly appreciated,
> > --
> > Dominic Marks
> >
> > Mar 16 01:24:22 mail imap-login: Login: someuser [192.168.0.1]
> > Mar 16 01:24:24 mail imap(someuser): open() failed with file
> > /raid/mail/someuser/cur/1076979223.V416I136863.silverback.example
> >.com:2,ST: Permission denied
>
> I assume you've checked that "someuser" owns that file.

Yes.

> Also check that every directory in the path is accessable to that
> user in the proper way.  If it's NFS-mounted, the underlying mount
> point may have to have the correct permissions too (i.e., unmount
> the volume and have a look).  An easy check is just to su to the
> "someuser" user and see if you can access the file in question.

It's a local raid and the permissions are (as far as I can tell) all
correct as it works for long periods perfectly, then this error
occurs. Sometimes restarting Dovecot fixes it, sometimes it doesn't.

> mm

I've changed my configuration to store the indexes on the raid volume
and I waiting to see if this makes any difference.

Thanks,
--
Dominic Marks