[Dovecot] chdir() on NFS

Christian Andersen chrian at stud.ntnu.no
Fri Mar 19 19:33:39 EET 2004

Christian Andersen said:

> Hi,
> I'm having problems accessing home directories though NFS. This setup uses
> LDAP and Kerberos. Users defined on the local host work fine. This is what
> dovecot writes in the logs while trying to log in as the user johndoe:
>
> ----
> Mar 19 14:10:54 jack dovecot-auth: nss_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP
> server...
> Mar 19 14:10:54 jack dovecot-auth: nss_ldap: reconnected to LDAP server
> after 1 attempt(s)
> Mar 19 14:10:54 jack imap-login: Login: johndoe [10.0.0.30]
> Mar 19 14:10:54 jack dovecot: chdir(/home/johndoe) failed: Permission
> denied
> Mar 19 14:10:54 jack dovecot: child 3525 (imap) returned error 89
> ----
>
> The authentication is OK, but dovecot fails to get access to the home
> directory. What username does dovecot try to chdir() as?
>
> If I 'su' from to that user I have access to /home/johndoe, and a quick
> test with Courier IMAP worked fine. Postfix has no problem delivering mail
> in the users maildir using procmail.
>
> Some relevant config options:
>
> default_mail_env = maildir:~/mail:INDEX=/var/indexes/%n
> auth_userdb = passwd
> auth_passdb = pam
> auth_user = root

Problem solved, I guess...

I recompiled from source and just replaced the dovecot binary in
/usr/sbin. Trying to do 'rpmbuild -tb' and install the resulting rpm
rendered everything unusable, but I guess that's just a matter of
tweaking some options to 'configure'.

What's the difference between the Fedora Core 1 version (0.99.10-6) and
the latest stable version (0.99.10.4)?

--
Christian Andersen
<http://phuzz.org>