[Dovecot] chdir() on NFS

Maikel Verheijen maikel at ladot.com
Fri Mar 19 20:33:25 EET 2004

Hi Christian,

On Mar 19, 2004, at 6:33 PM, Christian Andersen wrote:
>> Mar 19 14:10:54 jack imap-login: Login: johndoe [10.0.0.30]
>> Mar 19 14:10:54 jack dovecot: chdir(/home/johndoe) failed: Permission
>> denied
>> Mar 19 14:10:54 jack dovecot: child 3525 (imap) returned error 89
>
> Problem solved, I guess...

I think you will find your mailbox empty...

> I recompiled from source and just replaced the dovecot binary in
> /usr/sbin. Trying to do 'rpmbuild -tb' and install the resulting rpm
> rendered everything unusable, but I guess that's just a matter of
> tweaking some options to 'configure'.
>
> What's the difference between the Fedora Core 1 version (0.99.10-6) and
> the latest stable version (0.99.10.4)?

I guess the fedora core 1 version does not report with an error when
dovecot can't open your mail file/folder. This is a separate patch for
the release version.

Please note that the current dovecot version does not support
dotlocking for all file actions, so NFS is probably not safe and will
result in lock errors. (and lock errors can result in the error you
were experiencing). I do know Timo is working real hard on getting
dovecot  to support dotlocking as well for all file actions.

> --
> Christian Andersen
> <http://phuzz.org>

Kind Regards,