[Dovecot] chdir() on NFS

Maikel Verheijen maikel at ladot.com
Fri Mar 19 21:23:17 EET 2004

On Mar 19, 2004, at 8:13 PM, Christian Andersen wrote:

> Maikel Verheijen wrote:
>> I guess the fedora core 1 version does not report with an error when
>> dovecot can't open your mail file/folder. This is a separate patch for
>> the release version.
>>
>> Please note that the current dovecot version does not support
>> dotlocking
>> for all file actions, so NFS is probably not safe and will result in
>> lock errors. (and lock errors can result in the error you were
>> experiencing). I do know Timo is working real hard on getting dovecot
>> to support dotlocking as well for all file actions.
>
> Does this apply to Maildir-format or just mbox? I thought I was playing
> it safe by using Maildir and having the index files on the local
> drive... That's the impression I got from the current dovecot
> documnentation. I just thought it was strange that the problem went
> away
> by just replacing the binary.
The locking mechanism is more important for mbox mailspools, but
dovecot has some extra files (.subscriptions and .customflags) that
need locking as well. For the separate mails in the mailboxes dovecot
needs no locking when you use maildir.

Index files on the local drive are a good idea if you only use one
machine for the mailbox, if you use multiple, your index files might
get corrupted. You can use in-memory indexes as well.

> Christian Andersen
> <http://phuzz.org>

Kind regards,

Maikel Verheijen