[Dovecot] Re: Dovecot died due to some SSL related error

rhr-dovecot at batky-howell.com rhr-dovecot at batky-howell.com
Fri Mar 19 22:16:52 EET 2004

(Sorry, just joined the list, can't reply in the original message
from Feb 4.)

> Hi,
> Dovecot (pre-compiled version of Fedora Core 1, configured for Maildir)
> is running fine for me since a few days. It happened now twice to me
> that dovecot died with the following error message in /var/log/maillog:
>
> Feb  4 11:18:27 hundehuette imap-login: RAND_bytes() failed:
> error:24064064:random number generator:SSLEAY_RAND_BYTES:PRNG not
> seeded
> Feb  4 11:18:27 hundehuette dovecot: Login process died too early -
> shutting down
>
> As these previous log messages indicate the login was working before
> without any problem:
> Feb  4 11:02:37 hundehuette imap-login: Login: andrea [192.168.2.138]
> Feb  4 11:05:56 hundehuette last message repeated 30 times
> Feb  4 11:09:02 hundehuette last message repeated 15 times
> Feb  4 11:12:08 hundehuette last message repeated 15 times
> Feb  4 11:15:15 hundehuette last message repeated 15 times
> Feb  4 11:18:21 hundehuette last message repeated 15 times
> Feb  4 11:18:26 hundehuette last message repeated 12 times
>
> Dovecot is running as user "dovecot" who does not have a ~/.rnd file
>
> Any idea?
>
> Thanks,
> Christof

Hi,

  No idea, but I'm getting the same thing, at least once a day,
sometimes several times a day.  I tried putting a .rnd file in
/var/libexec/dovecot, no help.

- Fedora Core 1.0
- dovecot-0.99.10-6
- openssl-0.9.7a-23
- About 20 users, using pop, pops, imap, imaps.

  I had to run a cron job that checks every minute to see if dovecot
is running, and restart it if it isn't.  I'd love to get this figured
out, though.  I see another message about this in the list archives,
at the end of January.  I'll post if I find anything...

Rob