[Dovecot] imap indexing error when moving multiple mails

Hauke Fath hf at spg.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Mar 25 16:19:08 EET 2004

Hi,

I've got an 'interesting' problem with a dovecot 0.99.10.4 setup on
NetBSD/i386 1.6ZK.

dovecot is serving imap only at the moment, using mbox format
mailboxes. '/etc/dovecot.conf' is pretty vanilla - among the modified
settings,

mail_read_mmaped = yes
maildir_check_content_changes = yes
mbox_lock = fcntl

could be relevant. Anyway - from time to time when I move a bunch of
mails ( < 1) from a mailbox to another (or to the trash), the client
(I've seen it with Eudora 6 on a  Mac, with Mozilla 1.6 and Sylpheed
on NetBSD) reports an "internal error" and the maillog shows

Mar 25 14:07:33 bounce imap-login: Login: hf [130.83.xxx.yyy]
Mar 25 14:07:44 bounce imap(hf): Error indexing mbox file
/home/hf/Mail/Leute/Marc Wirth: LF not found where expected
Mar 25 14:09:30 bounce imap(hf): Error indexing mbox file
/home/hf/Mail/Leute/Marc Wirth: LF not found where expected

which, if I retry the operation to another time, does not persist and
is not strictly repeatable.

I've set the number of allowed concurrent connections to '1' on the
client, but that doesn't help.

Is there anything obvious that I overlooked, or have I tripped over a
genuine bug?

	hauke

--
           Hauke Fath                   /~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
Institut für Nachrichtentechnik        \ /    No HTML/RTF in email