[Dovecot] Excessive imap-login and pop3-login processes

Ben Beuchler insyte at emt-p.org
Mon Nov 8 18:26:31 EET 2004

I'm running a Linux mail server with Postfix and Dovecot.  I've noticed
that the number of "imap-login" processes usually sits around 240, and
"pop3-login" usually around 50 or so.

The comments in the config file seem to indicate that, with my setup, I
shouldn't see more than about 10 of each.  Am I misunderstanding the
config or is this expected behavior?

login_process_per_connection = no
login_processes_count = 10
login_max_processes_count = 128
login_max_logging_users = 256

The mail server receives about 1.5 - 3 logins per second and usually has
around 75 simultaneous IMAP sessions.  There are rarely more than 1 or 2
simultaneous POP3 sessions open.

Thanks...

-Ben

--
Ben Beuchler                                           There is no spoon.
insyte at emt-p.org                                            -- The Matrix