[Dovecot] Possible Bug

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Nov 12 16:28:55 EET 2004

On 8.11.2004, at 05:35, Chris L. Franklin wrote:

> Okay in dovecot.conf I set the fallowing settings
>
> log_path = /var/log/dovecot
> info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot
>
> Then I setup log rotation for that file (using logrotate). But after
> it does the rotation. Dovecot dies.
>
> Now I know why this happens. But should it ? To over come this I now
> have it set to stop dovecot and start dovecot after it's done dealing
> with the log file.

By "dies" you probably mean that it doesn't log to the new file? I
can't think of how it would crash.

Anyway, with 0.99.x there probably isn't a better way to do this than
restart. With 1.0-tests you could instead send HUP signal which makes
Dovecot reopen the log files as well as re-reading the configuration
files. Hmm. Looks like Apache uses USR1 signal as well for just log
reopening, I'll add that too.