[Dovecot] Cannot see contents of ~/mail folder

Piotr Krukowiecki piotr at mallorn.ii.uj.edu.pl
Wed Nov 24 09:02:21 EET 2004

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 01:38:27PM +0900, alan premselaar wrote:
> Saurabh Barve wrote:
> >I just installed dovecot-0.99 on my Fedora Core 2 machine. When I start
> >the secure IMAP daemon, I am able to see my Inbox, but not the other
> >folders in the 'mail' folder in my home directory (sent-mail,
> >saved-messages, etc.) These folders were created when I was using pine
> >earlier on the machine. In my dovecot.conf file, I have set:
> >
> >default_mail_env = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
> >
> >I am using Mozilla Mail as my mail client, if that makes a difference.
> >Dovecot seems to be creating a directory called .imap inside the 'mail'
> >folder, where it is storing the inbox and a Trash folder.
> >
> >I have set "mail_full_filesystem_access = no" so that users don't
> >access any of their other files except the mail folder. From what I
> >understand, I don't have to set IMAP path in Mozilla Mail. I tried
> >doing that too, just to try it out, but as expected, it didn't work.
> >
> >What do I need to set in order to see my other folders in the 'mail'
> >directory?
>
>  I don't use mozilla mail, but I use Thunderbird, so it may be similar.
>  Try editing your subscription list. it's possible that mozilla mail
> just thinks you haven't subscribed to those folders and is ignoring them.
>
> this may not be the answer, but probably a good place to start.

I think his problems is similar to mine, i.e. he wants to access folders
that doesn't start with a .dot (and probably which are placed in the
wrong place), and that is impossibile.

Saurabh: please read my thread "IMAP - many folders?", i think it should
answer your question at least partially.

As to 'what to do' - you probably need to change ping configuration to
so that it used other files (probably ~/mail/.sent-mail,
~/mail/.save-messages etc).

--
Piotrek
irc: #debian.pl