[Dovecot] Cannot see contents of ~/mail folder

alan premselaar alien at 12inch.com
Thu Nov 25 03:56:04 EET 2004

Saurabh Barve wrote:
> Thanks for all the suggestions! Alan was right. Changing the
> .subscriptions file to include the old folders worked. I can see all the
> folders in my 'mail' folder now. Thanks!!
>
> Ii have another question, though. I am trying to set up secure IMAP on
> this server. I have generated a certificate for the same name as the
> machine name. I read somewhere that it is not the wisest thing to do;
> that I should generate a certificate for a generic name, like
> mail.example.com in dovecot-openssl.conf. Can I pick any name I want? I
> know that my machine name is unique, but there might be another
> certificate with the same name somewhere? How do I know/resolve that? Or
> can I enter any value I want for the CN field in dovecot-openssl.conf?
>
> Thanks,
> Saurabh.

Saurabh,

   you can generate a self-signed certificate for any name you choose,
however, you need to also be able to access the machine by that name.
for instance, if you set the certificate to "mail.yourdomain.com", then
you need to make sure "mail.yourdomain.com" resolves to that machine in
your DNS records.

if you generate the certificate for "mail.yourdomain.com" and then
access the machine via "pop3.yourdomain.com" or something like that,
then the client will complain that the certificate doesn't match the
host (because the hostnames are different)

hope this helps

alan