[Dovecot] NFS, test52, maildir, freebsd 4.x and OS X (Panther) Server

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Nov 29 05:02:40 EET 2004

On 23.11.2004, at 20:48, Sean Porter wrote:

> I started doing some light load testing from multiple clients
> (essentially, clicking like a rabid monkey on Get Mail in Thunderbird
> and hitting different mailbox links in Squirrelmail as the same user)
> and started running into this error in the logs:
>
> Nov 22 20:10:46 server dovecot: IMAP(mailuser at example.com):
> rename(/host/mail/mailboxes/mailuser at example.com/dovecot-uidlist.lock,
> /host/mail/mailboxes/mailuser at example.com/dovecot-uidlist) failed:
> Input/output error
> Nov 22 20:10:46 server dovecot: IMAP(mailuser at example.com):
> file_dotlock_replace(/host/mail/mailboxes/mailuser at example.com/
> dovecot-uidlist) failed: Input/output error

That is a bit strange. I know NFS server can give ESTALE errors ("Stale
NFS file handle") which Dovecot doesn't yet handle everywhere, but I
didn't know it would ever give EIO. Maybe I should handle them the same
way as ESTALE? .. I don't know really. Some NFS expert needed here :)

Anyway, the problem has something to do with trying to rename a file
over another (which just appeared itself) and either NFS server or NFS
client gets somehow confused.

> Suggestion: perhaps the :CONTROL directive could be added to
> mail-storages.txt or dovecot-example.conf? A hint may also want to be
> added to http://www.dovecot.org/doc/nfs.txt.

I try to get rid of everything in doc/ and move them to Wiki (which get
then moved to doc/). Wiki could use some NFS page of course. test53
should finally be fully functional in it, other than those ESTALE
problems which can cause errors when multiple sessions are open to same
mailbox.