[Dovecot] 1.0-test53

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Mon Nov 29 16:01:09 EET 2004

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> I've also been thinking about if I should switch from CVS to Darcs. It
> seems to be exactly the kind of reversion control tool I had wanted to
> use. Anyone have comments for or against it? I'd still have read-only
> CVS repository generated from it, although I couldn't yet find a way to
> do it.

I cannot speak for or against Darcs (since I haven't used it), but I can say
that Subversion is my preferred version control system:

	http://subversion.tigris.org

along with a third party tool svk:

	http://svk.elixus.org/

which make mirroring multiple remote projects very easy as well as vastly
simplifying branch management and merging.  It is also possible to use VCP (an
opensource tool from the Perforce people) to copy from one version control
system to another (and often back again).  I use this to mirror a remote CVS
repository (or three) using svk; it could also be used to create a readonly CVS
mirror of a Subversion repository.  The Subversion project cvs2svn also does a
very nice job of converting full cvs history into a Subversion database
(branches and tags).

However, I'm primarily a _consumer_ of these remote resources, not a _producer_.
  Consequently, my most important feature is the ability to maintain a local
branch for my personal patches (some of which I then submit to the original
project), as well as the ability to merge upstream changes into my mirrored
repository.

You, however, are a _producer_, in that you are the primary (only?) developer of
dovecot, so your needs are probably very different.  From a casual reading of
the Darcs website, it seems to be focused on distributed development (multiple
developers) without an authoritative repository.  Perhaps that's what you want
to do; I cannot say.

John

--
John Peacock