[Dovecot] automatic flag updates

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Nov 30 09:00:21 EET 2004

On 30.11.2004, at 05:07, Aaron VanDevender wrote:

> I don't think this is true. I've included the relevant parts IMAP
> session below while doing the following:
>
> 1. Sent an email to myself.
> 2. Waited for client A (evolution) to do a SELECT INBOX.
> 3. Went over to client B (squirrelmail) and read the new message.
> 4. Waited for client A to do another SELECT INBOX or similar.
>
> at this point I expect client A to change the status of the mail in
> question to SEEN, but it stays as UNSEEN. The session below is from
> client A. Command A00069 reports [UNSEEN 16265]

That does seem to be bug.

> and command A00077
> reports 0 unseen messages, so client B clearly read the message between
> these two points, and the SEEN flag has changed. Yet no FETCH FLAGS
> response indicates that change. In addition to the STATUS (UNSEEN 0)
> response, there should also be a FETCH FLAGS response under command
> A00077 which lets client A know that message 16265 has been seen.

If Evolution had done NOOP command instead of SELECT, it would have
received the FETCH FLAGS response. I don't think the FETCH FLAGS should
be sent when mailbox is being changed (even if it's for the same
mailbox).

In any case, last I checked Evolution (v1.4.x) just ignored FETCH FLAGS
replies, so even if Dovecot did send them it wouldn't be of any use to
you.