[Dovecot] trouble accessing mbox folders with simultaneous logins

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Oct 4 19:47:16 EEST 2004

On 4.10.2004, at 16:31, 2 m at le / Jonathan Salomon wrote:

> As said before I am getting some problems when using simultaneous
> logins for the same mail account (for instance when multiple users
> that work on a specific project want to share a mail account
> containing all the mail about the project in addition to their private
> account). The client used is Microsoft Outlook and besides some
> outlook specific problems, it also gives these errors (translated from
> Dutch) when many users are simultaneously logged in to the same
> account:
>
> ‘Your server reported that a UID does not comply with the IMAP
> standard, which signifies an error on the server.’
>
> ‘The UID of a message is unexpectedly deleted. This signifies an error
> on the server.’

This sounds like it's fetching a message which doesn't exist anymore.
0.99 Dovecot handles it by giving back an error message and not
returning anything about the message. I guess this is what happens
here.

1.0-tests will try to reply to the request if the information about the
message is still in available (in memory/cache). If it's not, it
disconnects the client. The bad thing with that is that I'm not sure if
Outlook will automatically reconnect back to server.

If mails aren't actually being deleted, I guess it's something else..