[Dovecot] mail location questions

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Sep 2 23:51:00 EEST 2004

On 2.9.2004, at 22:34, Chris wrote:

> I have a mail server that will have about 800 webmail users without
> actual home directories. Can I set up the IMAP dir in another
> location, like /var/imap, where everyone can read/store their mail? Or
> just use the /var/spool/mail/<user> mbox file and make a sub dir for
> the indexing files?
>
> Sorry if this is basic, all I saw was ~/Maildir locs.  :P

Each user must have a separate directory so that it's possible to have
more than just one mailbox. That directory could be called home
directory, but it doesn't matter where it's located.
http://wiki.dovecot.org/moin.cgi/VirtualUsers and
http://wiki.dovecot.org/moin.cgi/Authentication are the latest docs
about it.