[Dovecot] Re: 0.99 mail env - mbox to maildir

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Fri Sep 10 14:58:31 EEST 2004

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 01:51:47PM +0200, C.Lee Taylor wrote:

> 	mbox to maildir converter ... There are a few perl scripts which
> 	could do this ...

i'm completely fed up with perl at this point, and absolutely refuse to install
whatever crap these scripts need to do their job.  see below.

> But I like the idea of mbox to maildir in dovecot ... But
> I wonder if that is the right place to put it ...

i was thinking about writing one in awk.  real awk, not gawk, so it'll work on
any system at all, and not need other cruft added.  we'll see how it goes,
it's been quite some time since i've last written anything in awk.

> P.S. If anybody has scripts or a system that moves mail from mbox to
> maildir, I would be happy to use them ...

hopefully soon?  ;)

> I run FC2, with procmailrc
> setting maildir, but it seems when the system is busy or something, my
> mail is still put into mbox ...

huh, that's not right.  i wonder what would cause that?  how do you have it
setup?  i have (running Solaris, not FC2) postfix directly use procmail as
the mailbox delivery agent, which may or may not be more efficient than
calling procmail from .forward

something to look into anyway. ;)

-brian
--
"The cats tend to administer themselves, and contrary to the expected facts,
the house and everything in it was installed for their benefit."   -- Nic Clews