[Dovecot] problems building / starting test40 + test42

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Sep 16 18:17:57 EEST 2004

On 15.9.2004, at 02:18, Curtis Maloney wrote:

> Well... I installed GNU Make, and it built cleanly this time... but
> it's still not starting.  Same problem... can't drop root group privs.
>
> Now, if the minimum gid setting is 100, and the GID of the dovecot
> group is 100... could it be there's a > instead of a >= ?

Dovecot group has nothing to do with GIDs used by imap process.
http://wiki.dovecot.org/moin.cgi/UserIds should help you understand
them.

The problem is you're trying to log in as user who has primary group
been set to wheel (ie. gid 0). There's two possible fixes:

a) Use another primary group and put yourself to wheel group in
/etc/group. In this case Dovecot automatically drops you from wheel
group

b) Set first_valid_gid = 0 and Dovecot allows it