[Dovecot] Trying to install Test43 with rpmbuild

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at Weiss.name
Mon Sep 20 18:12:22 EEST 2004

Hi!

I'm using WhiteBox Enterprise Linux 3.0, which is a re-compile distro of
RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.0.  I'm installing a new mail server and would
like to use dovecot as it supports Maildir, which the default imapd does
not.

I've downloaded test43's tarball, and would prefer to use RPM to manage
it.  To that end, I've tried to do an rpmbuild, but get an error:

[root at www src]# rpmbuild -ta dovecot-1.0-test43.tar.gz
error: line 7: Illegal char '-' in version: Version: 1.0-test43

I tried untaring the tarball and looking at the dovecot.spec file, and
sure enough on line 7 is a reference to "Version: 1.0-test43".  The
problem is that if I take out the '-', and try rpmbuild, I get more
errors.

I'm not an expert in this stuff...has anybody else managed to get this
working?  It would sure make my life easier (I think).

Ben