[Dovecot] Thunderbird 0.8 - Inbox grayed out and does not update

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Mon Sep 27 07:16:27 EEST 2004

Sitapati das wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I cannot get Thunderbird 0.8 to work with my dovecot IMAP server. It
> works fine with my work IMAP account - I'm not sure what they are using.

I guess for everyone's benefit I must ask : Which version of Dovecot are you using?

> What happens is that folders that I create in Thunderbird or Evolution
> can only contain subfolders or messages, not a combination of both.
>
> Folders which contain subfolders and not messages show up in Thunderbird
> grayed out. I can expand them and view the subfolders and the messages
> within those.

You're using mbox storage, aren't you?  This whole "only subfolders or messages,
not both" is a limitation of mbox.

> The Inbox however, also shows up grayed out. When I look inside I can
> see the messages that were there when I created the IMAP account in
> Thunderbird, however, no new messages arrive, even after restarting
> Thunderbird.
>
> If I connect with Evolution 1.4 I can read the inbox without a problem.

And here's where it gets odd.  My first thought was permissions... but that's
not it if Evo works happily... assuming it's going through the IMAP server, and
not running on the local machine, accessing the mail store directly.

> Has anyone seen this?

I am using TB8 with Dovecot 0.99.11, and it's working fine for about 20 users.
However, I'm using Maildir for the mail storage.

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net