[Dovecot] Re: about filtering and dovecot

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Thu Apr 21 16:24:58 EEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 14:03 +0100, news.gmane.org wrote:
> I used to run MailScanner, but then I switched to Exim+SA+Sophie. As
> Exim has now integrated the exiscan patch, it's much easier to set up.
> In addition, I find it extremely flexible, and uses less resources than
> MailScanner. In addition, I do not believe MailScanner will reject
> messages at smtp-time (if the spam score is greater than a threshold, or
> whatever rules you decide), which can cause problems. If my smtp server
> accepts the email, it's guaranteed to be delivered, which is how mail
> servers should be operate. There's no guarantee that a bounce message
> will ever get to its destination, especially not if it is spoofed, it's
> just a waste of time.

I *absolutely* agree with that *EXCEPT* in the earlier messages in the
thread we were talking about redelivery of messages that have already
been delivered to his ISP pop server.  In this situation SMTP rejection
of SPAM is actually a nuisance (although can be coped with presuming
fetchmail doesn't louse things up).

We're way off topic for the dovecot list.  Feel free to discuss this on
the exim list if you want.

	Nigel.