[Dovecot] Nested folders

jerry scharf scharf at lagunawayconsulting.com
Sun Apr 3 19:35:36 EEST 2005

--On 04/03/2005 08:51:00 AM -0700 Michael Irons wrote:

> I would like to have nested folders that users could create from their
> MUA.  The problem is that I cannot create sub folders either through the
> MUA or by  hand on the server side.
>
> I can make folders that are not the subfolder of anything. I have an
> Inbox,  Mailing Lists, Spam, Trash, etc. But I cannot create subfolders
> of these. For  example, I would like a subfolder under Mailing Lists for
> each Mailing list  that I have subscribed. I am using Postfix that
> delivers directly to procmail  which puts mails into Maildir style mail
> boxes in each users home directory.  I am using the dovecot-0.99.13-4.FC2
> rpm if that helps. I am sure that there  would be some information about
> this somewhere, but I haven't found it in the  mailing lists or googling
> around. The only information I have been able to  find is that dovecot
> reportedly supports this.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Mike,

Having just gone through this, I think I know your answer. There are
various flavors of Maildir, the one that dovecot uses has . (period) as the
separator between levels. I had to tell my MUA to use "." rather than "/"
as the separator and everything worked on that end. Also, when adding
things by hand, all the folders live directly under ~/Maildir (or where
ever you set it) and each level of hierarchy is preceded with a "." So if
you want to have a tree with test/junk, test/junk/more, test/misc, you
would see .test.junk, .test.junk.more and .test.misc in the Maildir
directory, each containing cur, new and tmp directories. Note that if you
don't store mail in test/junk, the directory .test.junk would not exist.

For Gregory, you needed to change the hierarchy separator for the IMAP
account in Mulberry to get it to work.

hope this helps.
jerry

Jerry Scharf