[Dovecot] Dovecot 1.0 POP3 login but no mail

David Wynter david at stpenable.com
Tue Apr 5 17:23:37 EEST 2005

Dovecot is installed on the hosted FC1 server I have, it was working fine
until yesterday when they had to bounce the server. I can login fine from
Outlook or connect telnet <hostname> 110. But even though I can see sendmail
has received mail into my %h/.maildir (via webmail's user mail facility)
when I log into dovecot via Outlook it does not retrieve any of it.

I tried from W2K "telnet <hostname> 110", it connects "+OK dovecot ready.",
then I typed "LOGIN <username> <password>" and i get "-ERR Unknown
command.". However with Outlook it logs in fine I see in maillog the result,
no other errors in maillog. Cannot see what is wrong. Here are the important
bits of my dovecot.conf, everything else is std. i.e. commented out

protocols = pop3
login = imap
login = pop3
default_mail_env = maildir:%h/.maildir