[Dovecot] Dovecot 1.0 POP3 login but no mail

Gerald V. Livingston II gerald.dovecot at sysmatrix.net
Tue Apr 5 23:18:08 EEST 2005

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 15:23:37 +0100 David Wynter <david at stpenable.com> wrote:

> I tried from W2K "telnet <hostname> 110", it connects "+OK dovecot ready.",
> then I typed "LOGIN <username> <password>" and i get "-ERR Unknown
> command.". However with Outlook it logs in fine I see in maillog the result,
> no other errors in maillog.

"LOGIN" is not a valid POP3 command -- it is an authentication method.

Depending on what auth methods you have enabled the password you have to
send during a login sequence may have to be CRYPTed before typing it in.

Here is the sequence for logging in via telnet to check what the server
thinks is in your mail directory.

(Yes, it says AVG POP3 Proxy server -- that's the virus gateway installed
on the windows machine I am doing this from -- it opens a clean pipe to the
Dovecot server at the other end of the "telnet myserver.domain.tld 110"
command.

telnet myserver.domain.tld 110
+OK AVG POP3 Proxy Server 7.0.307/7.0.308 [266.9.1]
user myuser at mydomain.tld
+OK
pass mypass
+OK Logged in.