[Dovecot] pam problems

Matthieu Imbert matthieu.imbert at ens-lsh.fr
Thu Apr 7 13:36:21 EEST 2005

Matthieu Imbert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i'm quite new to dovecot.
> i built it from the stable-1.0 sources.
> i have the following error messages in syslog when trying to launch
> dovecot:
>
>   dovecot: Dovecot v1.0-stable starting up
>   dovecot: auth(default): Unknown passdb type 'pam'
>   dovecot: Auth process died too early - shutting down
>   dovecot: child 373 (auth) returned error 89
>
> i googled a bit, and found some posts on this mailing list describing
> the same problem, and the answer is that pam support is not compiled in.
>
> So i tried to ensure pam support would be compiled:
>
> i made sure that i have the proper libs. I work on debian so i did:
>
>   apt-get install libpam-runtime libpam-modules
>
> apt-show-version tells me the version numbers installed:

>   libpam-modules/testing uptodate 0.76-22
>   libpam0g/testing uptodate 0.76-22
>   libpam-runtime/testing uptodate 0.76-22
>   libpam-ldap/stable uptodate 140-1
>
> my configure line is as follows:
>
> ./configure --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --with-ssl=openssl
> --with-pam
>
> when running configure, the only line related to pam is the following:
>
>   checking for pam_start in -lpam... no
>
> and at the end of the configure script i get the following summary:
>
>   Building with user database modules   : static passwd passwd-file
> checkpassword (modules)
>   Building with password lookup modules : passwd passwd-file shadow
> checkpassword (modules)
>
> So it seems that pam support is not built in. What is the lib i am
> missing ?
>
> Any help appreciated, thanks

Simon Waters pointed me to the right direction to solve this:
simulate the installation of the dovecot debian package:

apt-get build-dep dovecot-common

with this, i was able to figure out that i was missing
libpam0g-dev. i installed it and now the compilation is ok

thanks Simon

--

    \|||/
    (o o)                              Matthieu Imbert