[Dovecot] Index(?) problem under OpenBSD

Gaby vanhegan gaby at vanhegan.net
Mon Apr 11 19:14:48 EEST 2005

Hi,

My apologies if this has been mentioned before, I haven't pulled up a
google search yet.  I run Dovecot from the package under OpenBSD 3.6
(dovecot-0.99.10.8).

The problem I have is that occasionally dovecot corrupts an index file
(I think), which causes the process to gradually creep up in usage,
until it hits 99%, where it stays, without quitting.  If I then fire up
my mail client later on, it does the same thing.  Doing this two or
three times results in 3 processes, all at 33%, and a load of 100 on
the server.

The problem is resolved by deleting all the index files in my Maildir.
If this doesn't solve the problem, then duplicating my Maildir and
using the new copy, after deleting all the index files, fixes the
problem.  But these only work for a while, and the problem rears it's
head with other users as well, so I need a fix.

Has anybody else suffered this problem?  Is there a fix in a more
recent version?  Is it OpenBSD specific?  What can I do to help
diagnose the problem?  Should I turn of indexes?  Upgrade to the latest
version?

Some example errors from my logfile:

imap(gaby): Apr 11 15:32:37 Error: Corrupted index file
/home/gaby/Maildir/.INBOX/.imap.index: Wrong messages_count in header
(261 != 382)
imap(gaby): Apr 11 15:32:37 Error: Corrupted index data file
/home/gaby/Maildir/.INBOX/.imap.index.data: used_file_size larger than
real file size (142368
  vs 10264)
imap(gaby): Apr 11 15:32:44 Error: Corrupted index file (in-memory
index for /home/gaby/Maildir): UIDVALIDITY changed in uidlist
imap(gaby): Apr 11 15:36:12 Error: Timeout while waiting for release of
shared fcntl() lock for index file
/home/gaby/Maildir/.Work.LTSN/.imap.index
imap(gaby): Apr 11 16:21:27 Error: Timeout while waiting for release of
shared fcntl() lock for index file
/home/gaby/Maildir/.Archive.Trash-20050308/.ima
imap(gaby): Apr 11 16:25:02 Error: Timeout while waiting for release of
shared fcntl() lock for index file
/home/gaby/Maildir/.Archive.Trash-20050407/.ima

Gaby

--
Uganda Maximum - Enemy of the English Thrust
gaby at vanhegan.net
http://weblog.vanhegan.net