[Dovecot] Index(?) problem under OpenBSD

Janusz Gumkowski Janusz.Gumkowski at am.torun.pl
Mon Apr 11 21:47:50 EEST 2005

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 05:14:48PM +0100, Gaby vanhegan wrote:

> The problem I have is that occasionally dovecot corrupts an index file
> (I think), which causes the process to gradually creep up in usage,
> until it hits 99%, where it stays, without quitting.  If I then fire up
> my mail client later on, it does the same thing.  Doing this two or
> three times results in 3 processes, all at 33%, and a load of 100 on
> the server.
>
> Has anybody else suffered this problem?  Is there a fix in a more
> recent version?  Is it OpenBSD specific?  What can I do to help
> diagnose the problem?  Should I turn of indexes?  Upgrade to the latest
> version?

I had same problems on OpenBSD 3.4, and disabling indexes appeared to work as
a workaround.  Haven't tried finding any real solution, thou.

Recently on misc at openbsd in thread "secure way to do IMAP" somebody mentioned
this problem and suggested (surprise !) disabling indexes.

Also, take a look at this:  marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-ports&m=111283606230429&w=2
If you try this patch, please let me know your results.

--
Janusz Gumkowski
http://www.am.torun.pl/~ja             Janusz.Gumkowski at am.torun.pl