[Dovecot] Re: dovecot rpms, .subscriptions file, mbox to maildir

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Apr 15 18:13:05 EEST 2005

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 01:44:53PM -0600, Saurabh Barve wrote:
> I am running dovecot 0.99-14 on a Fedora Core 2 machine. I had a few
> questions:
>
> 1) I wanted to upgrade to the dovecot-1.0 release. [...]
>    iii) I like to install software from rpm's. [...]

> So, are there newer version of dovecot (1.0-stable) available in rpm
> formats which are guaranteed to be safe and un-trojaned? [...]

we are ruinning dovecot stable 1.0 from Feb 21st on a O(1000) accounts
mail server. Not a big one, but we have done quite a few tests with it
(including using a 13000 mails account in one mbox via IMP, quite a
good pairing, searching the mbox above cost only 2-3 secs!).

You can get rpms for Fedora Cores, RHLs and RHELs from

    http://atrpms.net/name/dovecot/

It's also apt-get'able and yumified, but it is in the testing repos,
not the stable ones.

I'd be interested in feedback from developers, e.g. when it is
considered good to update the packages. Thanks!

> 3) Would I be able to support web mail using mailboxes in mbox format,
> as I have them now? Or do I have to go for Maildir format?

It's your choice, check the namespaces. We have system mailboxes in
Mailfir and user mailboxes in mbox (~/Mail).

> Also, if I do need to convert from mbox to Maildir, what is the standard
> tool for doing that? I saw at least three different tools/scripts for
> doing that (mbox2maildir,mb2d,mb2md-2,mb2md.pl, .. ). Which tool (and
> from where) should I use to convert mailboxes without problems?

We used md2md and liked it quite a lot:

    http://atrpms.net/dist/common/mb2md/

HTH
--