[Dovecot] Re: dovecot rpms, .subscriptions file, mbox to maildir

Saurabh Barve sa at atmos.colostate.edu
Fri Apr 15 22:31:00 EEST 2005

Axel Thimm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 01:44:53PM -0600, Saurabh Barve wrote:
>
>>I am running dovecot 0.99-14 on a Fedora Core 2 machine. I had a few
>>questions:
>>
>>1) I wanted to upgrade to the dovecot-1.0 release. [...]
>>   iii) I like to install software from rpm's. [...]
>

>>So, are there newer version of dovecot (1.0-stable) available in rpm
>>formats which are guaranteed to be safe and un-trojaned? [...]
>

> we are ruinning dovecot stable 1.0 from Feb 21st on a O(1000) accounts
> mail server. Not a big one, but we have done quite a few tests with it
> (including using a 13000 mails account in one mbox via IMP, quite a
> good pairing, searching the mbox above cost only 2-3 secs!).
>
> You can get rpms for Fedora Cores, RHLs and RHELs from
>
>     http://atrpms.net/name/dovecot/
>
> It's also apt-get'able and yumified, but it is in the testing repos,
> not the stable ones.
>
> I'd be interested in feedback from developers, e.g. when it is
> considered good to update the packages. Thanks!
>

>>3) Would I be able to support web mail using mailboxes in mbox format,
>>as I have them now? Or do I have to go for Maildir format?
>

> It's your choice, check the namespaces. We have system mailboxes in
> Mailfir and user mailboxes in mbox (~/Mail).
>

>>Also, if I do need to convert from mbox to Maildir, what is the standard
>>tool for doing that? I saw at least three different tools/scripts for
>>doing that (mbox2maildir,mb2d,mb2md-2,mb2md.pl, .. ). Which tool (and
>>from where) should I use to convert mailboxes without problems?
>

> We used md2md and liked it quite a lot:
>
>     http://atrpms.net/dist/common/mb2md/
>
> HTH

Thanks all for the responses. I'll try out a newer rpm for dovecot from
the suggested sites, and if it doesn't work out I'll revert back to the
working instance on 0.99-14. Now if only somebody could shed some light
on my other little problem: ;)

I was supporting Secure-IMAP using dovecot for some time. However, the
self-signed certificate expires in one month. I understand that there
are security-issues in letting the certificate last indefinitely. Is
there a way around this? Or do I just keep regenerating the certificate
every month?

Thanks all,
Saurabh.
sa at atmos.colostate.edu