[Dovecot] comparision with other imap servers and folder sharing

Emmett Lazich emlaz at optusnet.com.au
Fri Apr 15 08:28:38 EEST 2005

Some praise:

Timo, I must say I am super impressed with this product.  I do free
support a few good friends with small businesses running Linux servers
(a mix of RH9, Suse9.2 and gentoo) that I dropped as email and samba
servers. I found UW-IMAP to be terrible in every way except that using
mbox is sometimes nice for old s/w tools. No need for details re UW-IMAP
problems.  In early 2004 I found courier-imap to be vastly better
behaved than UW-IMAP and also much faster once large folders were open.
DJB's Maildirs seemed cool, and postfix likes them too, and
mb2md-3.20.pl worked great . So everything seemed good and certainly was
better.  But courier cannot cope with large imap accounts (eg. millions
of messages and a few GBytes) where courier-imap grinds to a halt on the
initial folder scanning. Cyrus just looks like a big evil beast that
needs too much time to learn.  Four days ago, this lead me to dovecot.
The performance, reliability, configurability of dovecot is amazing.

Timo,  I think you could give yourself more credit on something
important when selling Dovecot. You write that Dovecot "does not support
shared folders". This might turn away some people considering Dovecot.
People whom like me do not have/want a good understanding of the imap
protocol. I believe you mean that Dovecot does not support shared
folders in the technical imap sense of shared namespaces between
separate imap accounts.  Since Dovecot works beautifully when sharing
folders via logging in with the same username more than once. Plus your
documentation and config notes imply that this is no problem. IDLE and
fcntl locking works great for me. Thank you and good luck!

-Emmett