[Dovecot] no password reply

Adi Kriegisch adi at cg.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Apr 18 13:00:48 EEST 2005

On Sunday 17 April 2005 18:20, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> It means Dovecot's LDAP support is broken currently in 1.0-tests. I've
> forgotten my test LDAP server's admin password and couldn't figure out
> how to change it, so I'm waiting for someone else to fix this :)
There is a quick and dirty solution to fix this:
Your LDAP admin password is either in /etc/[open]ldap/slapd.conf like this:
rootpw secret
or it is stored in ldap itself; then simply do a
slapcat -l my_file.ldif
search for the admin entry in the file and reset your password. It should
still remain encrypted so you might want to use slappasswd to create a new
hash.
the entry should be something with "userPassword:: hashedpasswordgoeshere"
Then stop ldap server, remove database and recreate it with
slapadd -l my_file_with_changed_admin_password.ldif
you might recreate your indices as well:
slapindex
...and then restart your ldap server.

Depending on your installation it might be possible that there is
a /etc/ldap.secret file with admin password in plain text...

I hope that helps.

Best regards,
	Adi Kriegisch