[Dovecot] configuration problem: maildir folders and messages not found

Bram Mertens bram-mertens at linux.be
Mon Apr 25 16:23:48 EEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 15:36 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 13:51 +0200, Bram Mertens wrote:
> > After sending some test messages the "Maildir" folder in my home-folder
> > looks like:
> > m8ram at medion:~$ tree -a Maildir
> > Maildir
> > |-- .IN-catchall
[...]
> > |-- .IN-testing
[...]
> These should show up as "IN-catchall" and "IN-testing" folders.

They do now, see below

> > |-- .INBOX
> > |   |-- .IN-testing
[...]
> Looks like Dovecot sees your INBOX because it has created index files.
> The IN-testing here isn't seen by Dovecot at all.

So there shouldn't be subfolders of ~/Maildir/.INBOX ?

[...]
> > Because I have been using the mbox format to test dovecot so far I had
> > to modify my dovecot configuration but no matter what I try none of the
> > messages above appear in evolution or thunderbird.
>
> Are you listing only subscribed folders and haven't subscribed them?
> Have you set IMAP namespace prefix? It should be empty. Sounds like
> client problem in any case.

Aha thanks that was it, like I said I'm migrating form mbox to maildir
so I've never had to subscribe to folders before!

> > default_mail_env = maildir:/%h/Maildir
>
> This is correct. Except the '/' before %h isn't needed.

Should I remove it or is it simply redundant?

> > I also tried the following for maildir:
> > default_mail_env = maildir:~/Maildir
> > default_mail_env = maildir:/home/%u/Maildir
> >
> > But neither worked.
>
> They're pretty much all equilevant.

Thanks again

Bram
--
# Mertens Bram "M8ram"   <bram-mertens at linux.be>   Linux User #349737 #
# debian testing            kernel 2.6.8-1-686     i686     512MB RAM #