[Dovecot] configuration problem: maildir folders and messages not found

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Apr 26 12:51:21 EEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 15:23 +0200, Bram Mertens wrote:
> > > |-- .INBOX
> [...]
> > Looks like Dovecot sees your INBOX because it has created index files.
> > The IN-testing here isn't seen by Dovecot at all.
>
> So there shouldn't be subfolders of ~/Maildir/.INBOX ?

Maildir++ layout creates subfolders by separating them with "." in the
directory name. So if you wanted to create INBOX/IN-testing, you'd have
to name it .INBOX.IN-testing.

The .INBOX directory itself is used only for Dovecot's indexes in
0.99.x. 1.0-stables/tests don't use .INBOX at all anymore.

> > Are you listing only subscribed folders and haven't subscribed them?
> > Have you set IMAP namespace prefix? It should be empty. Sounds like
> > client problem in any case.
>
> Aha thanks that was it, like I said I'm migrating form mbox to maildir
> so I've never had to subscribe to folders before!

The subscription thing is IMAP-specific and is just as required to mbox
as it is for maildir. Maybe before you hadn't set "show only subscribed
folders" checkbox in client's configuration.

> > > default_mail_env = maildir:/%h/Maildir
> >
> > This is correct. Except the '/' before %h isn't needed.
>
> Should I remove it or is it simply redundant?

As long as filesystems don't try to access //home/... in some special
way, it doesn't matter. Cleaner anyway without the extra / :)