[Dovecot] Fresh Dovecot Install

Jakob Curdes jc at info-systems.de
Tue Apr 26 22:34:15 EEST 2005

>I get nothing when I:
>
>rpm -qa | grep dovecot
>ps aux | grep dovecot
>service dovecot status

I suppose you are expecting that after doing a "make install", the
application already runs, like you are used from rpm installs ?
That will not be the case. I am not even sure if the dovecot install
process places a start/stop script in /etc/init.d. Often you have to do
many things on your own after a source install, like adapting or
creating a start/stop script or copying and modifying a sample
configuration file. That's what Mark pointed out : you should probably
at least go through the provided configuration file and then you can try
and start dovecot by hand and observer the relevant logfiles, depending
on your dsitribution. If you find that all works well, you can use the
start/stop mechanism to integrate dovecot startup into your system
startup. Sorry, but when compiling source packages you have to "RTFM"
and adapt the explanations to your configuration.

If you configured dovecot and started it and it fails to run, start it
from the command line and watch out for fatal errors on STDOUT or in the
logs. Most probably the ports are in use by another pop/imap program.

Hope this helps,
Jakob Curdes