[Dovecot] Why is "UIDVALIDITY changed" fatal?

Chris Wakelin c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk
Wed Apr 27 01:11:58 EEST 2005

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Pseudo mail caused this one too. I'll have to remember to start testing
> changes with mboxes having it too. Fixed it in 1.0-stable and tests.

That seems better. Thanks for the quick response!

UW-IMAP still prefers to have pseudo-messages for efficiency, but
doesn't create them if they're missing to prevent problems with some
mail software that can't cope with it. I guess Dovecot prefers not to
have them, as it's just as efficient without :)

> But anyway if you have both UW-IMAP/Pine accessing the mbox at the same
> time as Dovecot, there can still be problems with flag changes getting
> lost. With mbox_lazy_writes=no you could get Dovecot to show changes to
> Pine earlier, but Pine doesn't have an option to do the same for
> Dovecot.

I've not been mixing UW and Dovecot on my INBOX, just on the AutoSpam
folder. However, some of my colleagues who are helping me to test it
have been switching between the two regularly; e.g. use Dovecot at work
and UW-IMAP (via webmail) from home.

I'm hoping solving the UIDVALIDITY issue will make the switching back
and forth from UW to Dovecot transparent for them (at the moment they
have to open affected folders twice if UW has changed the UIDVALIDITY.)

I've warned them it may not be a good idea to have both servers
accessing the same mailbox at the same time. (BTW is it OK to have two
versions of Dovecot accessing it at the same time, e.g. 1.0-stable and
1.0-test68? I've assumed not!)

> Those UID errors sound a bit troubling.. Hopefully they were fixed with
> this change. I don't think it should happen even if there's lots of
> mixed Dovecot/Pine/UW users accessing the same mbox..

They seemed to go away, so perhaps it was a transient thing.

Best Wishes,
Chris

--
Christopher Wakelin,                           c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk
IT Services Centre, The University of Reading,  Tel: +44 (0)118 378 8439
Whiteknights, Reading, RG6 2AF, UK              Fax: +44 (0)118 975 3094