[Dovecot] Setting location for indexes

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Wed Apr 27 11:56:25 EEST 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 09:47:25AM +0200, dovecot.7.signal11 at spamgourmet.com wrote:

> We have NFS-mounted user directories which cause significant problems with
> stale file handles:

> dovecot: IMAP(uid): fstat() failed with file /home/uid/mail/.imap/INBOX/dovecot.index.log: Stale NFS file handle

> (a) why can't it just close the file and re-open ?

NFS has issues with files that are open on one client, and get deleted on
another. UNIX systems require that files don't disappear while they are in
use, but NFS is stateless and it simply can't know when a file is in use.
The result is the 'stale NFS handle' kludge, which also prevents a simple
close-and-open. Don't use index files on NFS disks.

> (b) is there a way to specify with the 'default_mail_env' (or in some other way)
> the location of **only** the indexes (and let dovecot autodetect all else?).

Haven't figured that one out myself either :)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>