[Dovecot] pop3 messages not deleted

Marten Lehmann lehmann at cnm.de
Thu Apr 28 23:21:28 EEST 2005

Hi,

> and see how many messages it reports.

x select INBOX
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft \*)]
Flags permitted.
* 0 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1114699589] UIDs valid
* OK [UIDNEXT 7485] Predicted next UID
x OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed.

I also did the following:

x uid search *
* SEARCH
* BYE Mailbox is in inconsistent state, please relogin.

Now I got the following:

x select INBOX
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft \*)]
Flags permitted.
* 74 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UNSEEN 1] First unseen.
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1114699589] UIDs valid
* OK [UIDNEXT 7485] Predicted next UID
x OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed.

In pop3, it works, too.

> I gather from your second message that you're using Maildirs rather than
> mbox

Thats correct.

> It may also be worth deleting the indexes (in the .imap directory, I
> think - can't remember for sure in Maildirs) see doc/index.txt and
> doc/mail-storages.txt

The problem is, that not all mailboxes do have IMAP access. POP3 is the
basic, IMAP uses a different passwd-file. So with POP3, I had no chance
to reorganize the index and the inconsistent state hasn't been detected.
And one question remains: How can this happen? The mailbox contained
about 4500 messages in the INBOX.

Regards
Marten