[Dovecot] directory names - have to begin with a dot?

Tom Alsberg alsbergt at cs.huji.ac.il
Thu Aug 4 13:39:07 EEST 2005

Hi there...

Two questions:

(1) Is there an easy way to have Dovecot recognize subdirectories that
    do not begin with a dot as sub-hierarchies?

(2) Is there a way to have the root folder map to a certain other
    mbox/maildir?  I want a setup like this:

	/		-> $HOME/mbox
	/INBOX		-> /var/spool/<username>
	/folder		-> $HOME/mail/folder
	/folder/foo	-> $HOME/mail/folder/foo
	/folder/bar	-> $HOME/mail/folder/bar
	/folder/foo/bar	-> $HOME/mail/folder/foo/bar

	(Assuming / as a hierarchy separator - that is,
	 /folder/foo/bar is the IMAP folder 'bar' inside 'foo' inside
	 'folder')

The idea is something resembling and compatible with the default
behaviour of elm/pine/mutt/KMail/evolution, so a user can use both
those locally and whatever IMAP client remotely in a similiar
organisation...

I would love some further documentation regarding the working of
Dovecot's folder lookup and how to achieve different IMAP folder
organisations with dovecot.  I have not yet looked deep enough into
the sources to understand where most of the flexibiliy stems.

  Cheers,
  -- Tom

P.S. anyone checked my trivial patch for settings parsing after
closing braces?

--
  Tom Alsberg - hacker (being the best description fitting this space)
  Web page:	http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~alsbergt/