[Dovecot] directory names - have to begin with a dot?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Aug 7 18:20:24 EEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 13:39 +0300, Tom Alsberg wrote:
> Hi there...
>
> Two questions:
>
> (1) Is there an easy way to have Dovecot recognize subdirectories that
>     do not begin with a dot as sub-hierarchies?

That causes namespace colliding which isn't such a good idea. For
example Dovecot creates dovecot.* files, so you couldn't create a
"dovecot" folder.

> (2) Is there a way to have the root folder map to a certain other
>     mbox/maildir?  I want a setup like this:

Nope, but it's planned sometimes after v1.0.

> I would love some further documentation regarding the working of
> Dovecot's folder lookup and how to achieve different IMAP folder
> organisations with dovecot.  I have not yet looked deep enough into
> the sources to understand where most of the flexibiliy stems.

If you want to implement your 2) part, it needs quite a lot of changing
to code. Currently maildir is tied to Maildir++ directory layout and
mbox to "normal" directory-layout. The mailbox listing/finding code
would have to be separated from the actual mailbox handling code to have
mixed mbox/maildirs inside one namespace.