[Dovecot] directory names - have to begin with a dot?

Tom Alsberg alsbergt at cs.huji.ac.il
Sun Aug 7 18:58:24 EEST 2005

On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 06:20:24PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 13:39 +0300, Tom Alsberg wrote:
> > (1) Is there an easy way to have Dovecot recognize subdirectories that
> >     do not begin with a dot as sub-hierarchies?
>
> That causes namespace colliding which isn't such a good idea. For
> example Dovecot creates dovecot.* files, so you couldn't create a
> "dovecot" folder.

I realize that - there would be a few names you can't use...
Still, I would like to do that...

> > (2) Is there a way to have the root folder map to a certain other
> >     mbox/maildir?  I want a setup like this:
>
> Nope, but it's planned sometimes after v1.0.

Cool...

> > I would love some further documentation regarding the working of
> > Dovecot's folder lookup and how to achieve different IMAP folder
> > organisations with dovecot.  I have not yet looked deep enough into
> > the sources to understand where most of the flexibiliy stems.
>
> If you want to implement your 2) part, it needs quite a lot of changing
> to code.

Why?  I wasn't talking in (2) about mixing mbox and maildir...  All it
requires, it seems, is for mailbox names not to begin with a dot, and
to be able to map the IMAP root to a special specific folder...

> Currently maildir is tied to Maildir++ directory layout and mbox to
> "normal" directory-layout. The mailbox listing/finding code would
> have to be separated from the actual mailbox handling code to have
> mixed mbox/maildirs inside one namespace.

Yeah, I know that...  That's what's blocking the ability to mix mbox
and maildir in one tree (we had a discussion once...).  I thought you
said you have this planned for somewhen after 1.0 as well...

  Cheers,
  -- Tom

--
  Tom Alsberg - hacker (being the best description fitting this space)
  Web page:	http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~alsbergt/