[Dovecot] "pipe() failed: Too many open files" - ??

Hauke Fath hf at spg.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Dec 14 14:16:14 EET 2005

Am 14.12.2005 um 12:39 Uhr +0100 schrieb Udo Rader:
>  > For now, I bumped the 'open files' shell limit in the dovecot start
>  > script to 1024 (default was 64 which sounds a bit on the low side).
>
>64 files as default for any process is absolutely weird.

[hf at bounce] /var/log # lsof -p `head -1 /var/run/dovecot/master.pid` | wc -l
       49

>on any process and think twice about setting the max open files to such
>a strange value.

What, 1024? The default of 64 which has been quite sufficient for
Dovecot 0.99.x until now, and still is for other server processes?

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign                    Hauke Fath
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email	        Institut für Nachrichtentechnik