[Dovecot] Problems with dovecot using Maildir on JFS.

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Feb 9 21:15:18 EET 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 13:36 -0500, Jacob Robert Wilkins wrote:
> I have postfix setup to deliver to Maildir, in /home.
>
> The /home volume was formatted with JFS.
>
> In this setup, both Outlook and Thunderbird would not show any new mail
> unless they were completely shutdown and restarted.
>
> I have moved /home to an ext3 formatted and all is well.
>
> Anyone have any insight on this?

I already replied to this in IRC, but for others too:

JFS doesn't update directory's mtime when files are added, removed or
renamed in it. So Dovecot can't know when the maildir has changed
without constantly reading its contents. With Linux's dnotify this could
be kind of worked around, but I'm not really interested about doing
that.