[Dovecot] Problems with dovecot using Maildir on JFS.

Willem Riede wriede at riede.org
Thu Feb 10 05:52:08 EET 2005

On 02/09/2005 02:15:18 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 13:36 -0500, Jacob Robert Wilkins wrote:
> > I have postfix setup to deliver to Maildir, in /home.
> >
> > The /home volume was formatted with JFS.
> >
> > In this setup, both Outlook and Thunderbird would not show any new mail
> > unless they were completely shutdown and restarted.
> >
> > I have moved /home to an ext3 formatted and all is well.
> >
> > Anyone have any insight on this?
>
> I already replied to this in IRC, but for others too:
>
> JFS doesn't update directory's mtime when files are added, removed or
> renamed in it.

Really? I figured that wouldn't be difficult to fix in the kernel, so I looked
at the source (linux-2.6.11-rc2/fs/jfs/namei.c).

The parent mtime _is_ updated (dip->i_ctime = dip->i_mtime = CURRENT_TIME;) in
jfs_create(), jfs_mkdir(), jfs_rmdir(), jfs_unlink(), jfs_rename() + mtime is
changed in old_dir and new_dir for rename...

So what's the story here? Willem Riede.