[Dovecot] Why am I getting more imap folders?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Feb 9 21:45:52 EET 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 12:27 -0500, poohba at blkpoohba.dyndns.org wrote:
> At one point I was just using what was under ~/mail now I have:
> ~/mail
> ~/mail/fedora
> ~/mail/trash
..
> ~/mail/.imap/fedora
> ~/mail/.imap/fedora/.imap.index
> ~/mail/.imap/fedora/.imap.index.tree
..
> These are not all the files but just the most recently touched files.  Can
> I not just have imap view and use the ~/mail files?  Is this normal?

The ~/mail/.imap/ directory is for Dovecot's indexes. If you want to
place them in different directory, you can do it with eg.:

default_mail_env = mbox:~/mail:INDEX=%h/mail-indexes

Or you can just forget that they're there. Dovecot doesn't show them to
clients.

> Can I have it set up to use the maildir files that are already there?  It used
> to work that way but I guess that is with the other imap server that came
> with fc1.

I'm not really sure what you're asking. ~/mail typically contains only
mboxes, so are you talking about something else? If not, why do you have
both mboxes and maildirs?

Some patched UW-IMAPs are capable of handling mixed mbox/maildir
directories, Dovecot isn't yet.